EMBEDDED SOFTWARE DEVELOPER
WHO WE ARE
As one of Manitoba’s fastest growing companies, Smartrend Manufacturing Group (SMG), Inc. through our various divisions, is increasing safety in the school bus industry and reducing emissions in the electric vehicle charge systems arena. We work on exciting, patented, innovative technology that impacts our environment. What has remained constant throughout this compelling history of growth is our dedication to our customers, our team members, and to the values on which we built SMG:
- People – our team is what makes us special
- Passion – from our hearts and minds, demonstrated through our actions
- Priority – we put the customer first, everyday, in everything we do
- Partnership – with each other, our customers, and our suppliers
We offer a competitive benefits package in an environment that is supportive, respectful, and fun! Join an innovative, growing, and diverse organization where your voice matters.
The Embedded Software Developer is part of a core team that will be assisting in solidifying and expanding our capabilities in the electrification space. In the past 18 months, the team has developed and launched an Electric Vehicle Communication Controller (EVCC) with a local lead customer. Work in a space where the sky is the limit for you to flex your development capabilities, where you will be challenged to think outside the box. You will be supporting the current customer platform and developing complementary products to the EVCC. SMG seeks experienced, out-of-the-box developers in ARM based systems running Linux and FreeRTOS.
HOW YOU WILL BE MAKING AN IMPACT
- Assist in the development of user and system specifications.
- Assist in the development of system architecture design.
- Implement software based on specifications and design.
- Implement test software for software and hardware testing.
- Work closely with System, Hardware, and test engineers throughout the embedded software design/development life cycle.
- Work directly with customers to ensure embedded software meets key mission requirements.
- Document software design and participate in design and code reviews.
- Perform software/hardware integration during software development and unit testing.
WHAT SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE YOU REQUIRE
- Education: BSc Degree in Electrical or Computer Science or equivalent.
- Knowledge of Linux systems.
- Knowledge of Real Time Operating Systems.
- Knowledge of IP networks, SNMP, managed network devices.
- Knowledge of CAN Bus and J1939.
- Familiarity with automated build environments, test strategies, and static code analysis.
- Experience with working and debugging electronics.
- Experience in designing transportation, agriculture, and/or construction vehicle electronic devices/systems.
- Understanding of FMEAs and DFM (design for manufacturing) guidelines.
- Possess creativity for production development.
- Exposure to design and verification testing methods.
- Strong problem-solving abilities.
- Computer knowledge and skills with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Project management, leadership, and presentation skills is an asset.
- Ability to work well under pressure and under tight timelines.
- High level of organizational skills, detail oriented, and analytical.
THE BENEFITS OF BEING PART OF OUR TEAM
Share with us your passion and drive towards your career objectives, and we will provide an environment where your valuable contributions are rewarded and celebrated with professional growth and job satisfaction. We offer an attractive benefits package for our team members including:
- Group insurance plan with health spending account
- Paid Vacation
- Company paid shutdown from Christmas to New Years
- Matching RRSP program
We would like to thank all applicants who apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.