MECHANICAL DESIGN ENGINEER
WHO WE ARE
As one of Manitoba’s fastest growing companies, Smartrend Manufacturing Group (SMG), Inc. through our various divisions, is increasing safety in the school bus industry and reducing emissions in the electric vehicle charge systems arena. We work on exciting, patented, innovative technology that impacts our environment. What has remained constant throughout this compelling history of growth is our dedication to our customers, our team members, and to the values on which we built SMG:
- People – our team is what makes us special
- Passion – from our hearts and minds, demonstrated through our actions
- Priority – we put the customer first, everyday, in everything we do
- Partnership – with each other, our customers, and our suppliers
We offer a competitive benefits package in an environment that is supportive, respectful, and fun! Join an innovative, growing, and diverse organization where your voice matters.
Putting your creativity and talent into high gear, the methodical Mechanical Design Engineer is part of a team of skilled engineers making the unthinkable come to reality. You will be engaged in research, analysis, conceptual and detailed design, and development of various parts, components, and assemblies for our diverse customer base using traditional tools and new technologies to assist throughout the product development life cycle. The successful candidate is detail oriented and will be working on innovative designs for SMG’s growth markets.
HOW YOU WILL BE MAKING AN IMPACT
- Lead design of multidisciplinary devices.
- Define requirements for new product development.
- Design innovative products that include plastics, metals, electromechanical components, thermal packaging, optics and more.
- Utilize skills and knowledge in designing parts for injection molding, stamping, casting, extrusion etc.
- Create designs and drawings of mechanical assemblies using Solid Works CAD software.
- Define and develop product verification and support test execution in onsite rapid prototyping and test lab.
- Work with Supply Chain and Quality teams to support product procurement and resolve open engineering issues.
- Support product hand-off to manufacturing and in-field implementation.
- Perform initial and ongoing design and technical reviews.
- Other engineering-related activities, as required.
WHAT SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE YOU REQUIRE
- Education: BSc. Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- Minimum 5 years of related engineering experience.
- Possess creativity for product development.
- General knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T).
- Computer knowledge and skills with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Solid Works or similar CAD software.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Project management skills are an asset.
- Work well under pressure and under tight timelines.
- High level of organizational and analytical skills.
- Must possess excellent communication skills to collaborate with customers and multidisciplinary teams.
- Diligent work ethic and ability to work with little supervision.
- Able to travel within Canada, the USA, and internationally, as required.
THE BENEFITS OF BEING PART OF OUR TEAM
Share with us your passion and drive towards your career objectives, and we will provide an environment where your valuable contributions are rewarded and celebrated with professional growth and job satisfaction. We offer an attractive benefits package for our team members including:
- Group insurance plan with health spending account
- Paid Vacation
- Company paid shutdown from Christmas to New Years
- Matching RRSP program
We would like to thank all applicants who apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.